Young Girl Killed By A Brain-Eating Amoeba Was One In A Billion

Hally-Yurst1

(PCM) You may have seen several stories popping up around the web warning people about the dangers of swimming in fresh water lakes and ponds, as there are potentially lethal amoebas lurking under the surface.

The reports began circulating after a 9-year old girl by the name of Hally Yurst passed away on July 9th after a waterborne, brain-eating amoeba caused her death.

As terrifying as it sound sounds, Yurst’s family has come forward and spoken out about their daughter’s death claiming the she was one in a billion. In a news conference Shon Yurst claims “You are more likely to die from drowning than you are from ever dying from this organism. It’s like a one in a billion.”

He goes on to say that his family is very active in the water and will continue to be. Hally Yurst was said to have been in at least four different bodies of fresh water leading up to her death.

The Naegleria fowleri amoeba lives in all fresh bodies of water and was the source of little Hally’s infection. Sources claim that infections for brain-eating amoebas in the U.S. are extremely rare and only one in Kansas has been reported since 2011.

Symptoms of infection generally appear about four to five days after contact and include headache, vomiting, and fever. People then suffer from confusion, seizures and hallucinations.

The post Young Girl Killed By A Brain-Eating Amoeba Was One In A Billion also appeared on PCM Lifestyle.

Bikini Pic Of Former Model With Colostomy Bags Has Gone Viral

Townsend-colostomy

(PCM) British make-up artist and former model Bethany Townsend is making headlines after she posted an image of herself in a bikini laying out with her colostomy bags in full view.

Townsend has been suffering from Crohn’s Disease since the age of three, but was not officially diagnosed until the age of 11. Because of her misdiagnosis, she was forced to have 16 inches of her bowl removed at a young age and has been on steroids, infliximab, methotrexate and every other drug going as well as being tube fed for 4 years.

After five additional surgeries, Townsends’ bowl burst four years ago and she ended up with two colostomy bags. After that incident Townsend gave up her modeling dreams.

Back in December, Townsend was vacationing in Mexico with her husband and he was always telling her that she had a great body and wanted her to wear a bikini. Finally, Townsend agreed and figured that it didn’t matter because she would most likely never see any of those people again anyway.

Townsend eventually decided to share the vacation bikini picture with the Crohn’s and Colitis UK Facebook page and it almost immediately went viral.

Townsend claims that “I felt like I finally had the confidence after three-and-a-half years of having them that I wanted to give other girls the confidence, the guys the confidence, to be like, ‘we have nothing to be ashamed of.”

We certainly think that Townsend’s act of sharing was both incredibly brave and definitely inspiring!  What do you think?

The post Bikini Pic Of Former Model With Colostomy Bags Has Gone Viral also appeared on PCM Lifestyle.

Ohio High School Student Overdoses On Caffeine

caffeine-powder

(PCM) Caffeine addiction has been proven to have some dangerous consequences, which is definitely the case in the mysterious death of high school senior, 18-year old Logan Stiner.

Stiner, was discovered dead on the floor of his home back on May 27th, just one week shy of his high school graduation. His death baffled officials who saw no immediate signs of foul play and were informed that Stiner was in excellent physical health.

Stiner’s death was initially assumed to be from natural cause, however upon further examination of a white powdery substance that was found at the home it was discovered that Stiner had died from a caffeine overdose.

The honor student and prom king, had about 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter in his blood. It is said the average heavy coffee drinker only has about 3-5 micrograms of caffeine in their blood stream.

The caffeine powder is sometimes used as an additive or enhancement by fitness fanatics and weightlifters for an extra boost. Officials say that one teaspoon of the powder mixed with water can be equivalent to about 30 cups of coffee.

The powdered caffeine is incredibly potent and can be absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly. It can cause a speeding heartbeat, as well as seizures and the powder is not regulated by the FDA.

Reports indicate that the FDA has been warning consumers about the dangers of caffeine for quite sometime, especially those found in many of the popular energy drinks and supplements that have soared in popularity in recent years.

It is not clear why Stiner was using caffeine powder or for how long. He was slated to attend the University of Toledo in Ohio to study chemical engineering prior to his unfortunate passing.

 

 

The post Ohio High School Student Overdoses On Caffeine also appeared on PCM Lifestyle.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15
Loading..